Ashtanga Yoga - What is it?
- One of the oldest forms of yoga
- Breath-focused practice
- Founded by Sri K Pattabhi Jois as a preparation for meditation and a way to alleviate various ailments
- Synchronizes movement to the breath
- A prescribed series of poses
- Passed from teacher to student
- Poses are added as your experience and body allow
- Incorporates active movement "flow" between poses
- Builds strength and stamina
- Becomes a meditative practice due to breath/movement synchronization
Mentors for New Students
We love new students at Pacific Ashtanga! We all remember being new to the practice, and will do everything possible to make you feel welcome and relaxed while your learning progresses.
Whether attending a led class or Mysore for the first time, you will be paired with a more advanced student that you will "shadow" throughout the class or Mysore session. This will allow you to reference the proper form for each pose, as you learn and stay in sync with the order of the poses. This method of mentoring allows new students to feel welcome and receive needed guidance.